How to work through this section
1. The order of reactivity of four elements is J>M>Q>T i.e. J is the most reactive and T the least reactive.
A series of reactions are given below:
a. 1 MCl2 + T → TCl2 + M
b. 2 MSO4 + J → JSO4 + M
c. 3 TO + Q → QO + T
d. 4 QO + J → JO + Q
e. 5 JSO4 + T → TSO4 + J
f. 6 MO + Q → QO + M
Which three reactions could take place?
A) 1, 2 and 3
B) 2, 3 and 4
C) 4, 5 and 6
D) 1, 4 and 6
2. A compound of iodine and oxygen contains 63.5g of iodine and 20.0g of oxygen.
Which of the following would be its formula?
(Ar : I = 127; O = 16)
3. A metal, X, is in group III of the periodic table. A non-metal, Y, is in group VI of the periodic table. They react together to form a compound.
What is the formula of the compound?
4. Carbon, in the form of coke, is used to reduce iron oxide in a blast furnace. The three stages are shown below:
a. C + O2 → CO2
b. CO2+ C → 2CO
c. 3CO + Fe2O3→ 2Fe + 3CO2
If 12g of carbon is used in stage 2 and all the carbon monoxide produced is used in stage 3, what mass of carbon dioxide is produced in stage 3?
(Ar : C = 12; O = 16)
5. 2.74g of 1-bromobutane is reacted with excess aqueous sodium hydroxide to produce 1.11g of butan-1-ol according to the equation below.
C4H9Br + NaOH → C4H9OH + NaBr
What is the percentage yield of butan-1-ol?
(Ar : H = 1; C = 12; O = 16; Na = 23; Br = 80)
6. The equation for the preparation of nitrogen monoxide is:
a Cu + b HNO3àa Cu (NO3)2+ c H2O + 2NO
What is the value of b?